Ready to start your blogpost? You are looking very excited to get started. But also a bit nervous.
Are you thinking you have no clue how to start? What to write exactly? How to make it so your readers will actually read the whole thing?
In this post we will be talking about how to blog.
Structure of a blogpost
Let’s talk structure first.
A blogpost exists of:
- a title
- an introduction
- the main text
- the end
Now wouldn’t it be simple if you could just start with the title and work your way down?
Unfortunately that is how loads of blogpost are hard to read. The writer just started writing and wrote till he was done, without a start and end point in mind when he wrote. I have seen blogpost where the end conclusion had nothing to do with the introduction, leaving me a bit confused.
So how do you write this post?
How to write a post
- Think about your main topic. What is it you want to tell your audience?
- What do you want to achieve within your audience? Do you just want to inform or do you want them to do something?
- What points do you want to use to tell your audience about your topic?
- Pick out the best format to write about your topic. Are you going to tell them a story and then explain more, are you going scientific, … In my newsletter this thursday I will tell you more about the formats I use in my blogposts.
- Structure your points from Step 3 into the format. This will make sure your points will make sense and lead from the introduction to the end
- Now write the end, whether that is a conclusion, something you want to tell your audience to act on or a take-away.
After you wrote the draft let it sit for a day or two, then read again.
I promise you, you will find sentences that look weird or are hard to understand. You won’t get the same result if you read it immediately after writing. Why not? Well you have this version of it in your head, which might not be exactly the same as what you wrote. So you need that time to get rid of the version in your head, so that if there are actually parts missing, you can see this and add to it.
After you have rewritten the post you can schedule it.